Find out how we collect and use the data you give us
The Sainsbury’s group of companies value your privacy and the security of your data is extremely important to us. This policy sets out where and how Sainsbury’s collects your personal information and how it will be used, as well as your rights over any personal information we hold about you.
The sainsburys.co.uk website is operated by Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Limited, Registered Office: 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT, Company Registration Number: 3261722, VAT number: 660 4548 36.
Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd is a registered Data Controller under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, Details of the Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd notification to the Regulator for data protection, may be found in the Information Commissioner’s Office Public Register of Data Controllers at www.ico.gov.uk under registration number Z4722394.
Your use of the sainsburys.co.uk website is governed by the Sainsbury’s online Terms and Conditions. Please ensure you have read and understood the Terms and Conditions in addition to this Policy.
Please note that www.j-sainsbury.co.uk is owned and operated by J Sainsbury Plc, registered company number 185647 in England and Wales. J Sainsbury plc is a registered data controller, registration Z8222450 on the ICO’s Public Register of Data Controllers.
• Sainsbury’s respects, and is committed to protecting, your privacy and will only process your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998, the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 (as amended) and any other UK privacy legislation in force from time to time.
• Sainsbury’s does not sell, rent or loan any information that identifies you to any third party without your consent. Sainsbury’s may use reputable partners, suppliers or agencies to process your personal information on our behalf: but we will only do so where Sainsbury’s strict instructions on the processing of data and security are met.
• The personal information you give to us may be shared within the Sainsbury’s group of companies and Sainsbury’s Bank and, for those who order online, with our agents and other third parties who need your information to enable your order to be delivered.
• To prevent fraud and ensure that your credit, debit or charge card is not being used without your consent, we will validate name, address and other personal information supplied by you during the order process against appropriate third party databases. In performing these checks personal information provided by you may be disclosed to a registered Credit Reference Agency which may keep a record of that information. This is done only to confirm your identity; a credit check is not performed. If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is suspected details will be retained by the Credit Reference Agency and may be passed to fraud preventing agencies.
• If you are buying a television or any other device, to receive TV signals, from us, please note that the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 requires us to notify the TV Licensing Authority, giving full details of the address to which the TV will be delivered.
• Sainsbury’s would like to share your information with any new businesses that it may develop in the future, either on its own or with others. This website will be updated should we develop joint ventures or companies going forward.
• Any information you give to Sainsbury’s is held with the utmost care and security.
• When you visit our Website we collect two types of information:
1. Personal information such as your name, address, telephone number and email address as provided by you when you; register, enter a competition, use forums, or place an order with us and enter your payment card details.
2. Information such as your computer’s IP address and anonymous information collected from cookies when you are browsing our website to help us understand how to improve our website and services to you.
• We will only send you marketing information by email or post or use information about your shopping preferences to give you coupons in-store or online when you have given us your permission.
• If you wish to amend your marketing preferences with Sainsbury’s online, you can do so by clicking on ‘my account’ and following the directions or by calling our Customer Care Team on 0800 328 1700.
• If you wish to amend your decision regarding receipt of information through Nectar, you can visit nectar.com or call the Nectar Helpline number on 0844 811 0811.
• Remember if you take either of these steps Sainsbury’s and/or Nectar, will not be able to send you information about special offers, promotions or discount vouchers.
• Sainsbury’s will, of course, continue to let you have information on the operation of your account including confirmation and delivery details and information about important changes to our services.
• Additionally, you may also have told Sainsbury’s Bank whether you want marketing material from them. For reasons of Bank confidentiality you will need to contact the Bank if you want to change your marketing preferences.
• Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Ltd will use your mobile phone number (if you have provided one) to send you a reminder of your grocery delivery slot time. Sainsbury’s will always keep your data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and will only use your mobile phone number to contact you about your shopping order.
• You can register as many sets of payment details with Sainsbury’s as you like. You can register a new card or update a card that has expired by either clicking on ‘my account’ on this website or by calling us on 0800 328 1700. You can register a new payment card at any time but cannot change the card associated with a given order once you have checked out.
• In addition to the company's safeguards your personal data is protected in the UK by the Data Protection Act 1998. This provides amongst other things that the data we hold about you should be processed lawfully and fairly. It should be accurate, relevant and not excessive. The information should, where necessary, be kept up to date and not retained for longer than is necessary. It should be kept securely to prevent unauthorised access by other people. You have the right to see what is held about you and correct any inaccuracies.
• Sainsbury's may hold other details about you particularly if you hold a Nectar card. This information is not available online. Should you wish to see any additional information held about you, please write to The Data Protection Manager, at Legal Services, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT. Information held by Sainsbury's Bank plc can be obtained by writing to The Data Protection Officer, Sainsbury’s Bank, Keith House, Redheughs Rigg, Edinburgh EH12 9DQ.
We use a feature of your internet browser called a 'cookie' on the Sainsbury's website.
A 'cookie' is a very small text file that your web browser places on your computer's hard drive which allows us to help you get the best out of your visit to the website and improve your user experience. A 'cookie' can be thought of as an identification card which tells a website when you have returned.
• We reserve the right to delete any contribution or take action against any account at any time for any reason.
• Sainsbury’s treats all the information it holds with the utmost care and security. Payment details are stored on our system in an encrypted format and can only be accessed when you place an order using your user name or email address and password.
• Please be aware that Sainsbury’s will only ever contact customers requesting confirmation of account details:
o If your card is declined at the point of payment (this is not the same as the automatic pre authorisation which happens when you order your products online), or
o In certain circumstances a refund to your card is required as our Customer Care Team colleagues do not have access to your payment card details.
o If we contact you we will never ask for your password.
• We advise you never to enter your account number or password into an email or after following a link from an email.
• In order to provide a safe, secure shopping environment for all customers and to ensure we only serve genuine customers, Sainsbury’s reserve the right to use reputable security devices and systems as necessary.